Friday, January 21, 2011

Breaking News: Vernon Wells traded to LA Angels for Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera

My thoughts exactly, Vernon.

According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the Toronto Blue Jays have somehow just unloaded Vernon Wells and the remainder of his 7 year $126 Million contract - which still consists of a total $86M over the next four freakin' years!!! - to the LA Angels in exchange for Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera.

After my friend Charlie sent me a text letting me know about the deal, I nearly kissed the Hungarian woman sitting across from me on the Go Train, but before we plan to erect a solid gold statue of Alex Anthopolous at 1 Blue Jays Way, let's wait to hear what all the details are.

I've read in the Twitter world and heard on a couple blogs that were quicker to the draw than me (which, considering my last post was over a week ago, really isn't that impressive) that rumors were swirling indicating that Kyle Drabek was involved in the deal. Shipping off their #1 prospect to save money on the remainder of Wells' contract seems against the common theme that AA and Rogers have been pounding into us that they're willing to spend money on high-end, young, controlable talent. For now, I'm going to chaulk those rumors up to just that: Rumors.

The deal is still pending physicals. And by that I mean Vernon Wells is taking a physical since I'm pretty sure the Angels could ship over the rotting corpses of Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera - who combined will make about half of Vernon's salary next year - and the Jays would still gladly accept the trade.

The financial details have not yet been revealed, so it's tough to do a complete analysis on the deal, other than HOO-FUCKING-RAY!  More to come on this trade once the details work themselves out.

What a great start to the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment